Thank you to all in the Australian Badminton community for their very responsible approach to the current COVID-19 situation. As this situation is changing rapidly, we will continue to update the badminton community as often as possible. We commend and applaud the badminton States/Territories, Associations, clubs, members and participants on the measures they have all taken in the last few weeks to ensure the safety of badminton participants and the wider community.
In a media conference held yesterday (22 March 2020) the Prime Minister announced the following facilities are restricted from opening from midday local time 23 March 2020:
- Pubs, registered and licenced clubs (excluding bottle shops attached to these venues), hotels (excluding accommodation)
- Gyms and indoor sporting venues
- Cinemas, entertainment venues, casinos, and night clubs
- Restaurants and cafes will be restricted to takeaway and/or home delivery
- Religious gatherings, places of worship or funerals (in enclosed spaces and other than very small groups and where the 1 person per 4 square metre rule applies).
Other facilities are not impacted, but will be considered under stage 2 restrictions, if necessary. You can read the follow up statement here:
Following this announcement, Badminton Australia requires States/Territories, Associations and clubs to postpone indoor badminton activities as from midday, Monday 23 March 2020. In a time of great change, Badminton Australia is committed to supporting the community as we navigate this uncertain time. We will continue to work collaboratively with the badminton community as circumstances unfold. To assist with this process Badminton Australia is:
- Working with other the State/Territory badminton organisation, other sports, Sport Australia, Federal Government, the AOC, Paralympics Australia, AIS and other key stakeholders in our response and preparation
- Established a Coronavirus Risk working Group that meets on a regular basis
- Reviewing BA’s financial arrangements to ensure sustainability for the future and working with state/Territory Badminton organisations to do the same
- Is monitoring and supporting where able those from the badminton community who are still overseas
- Establishing a dedicated Coronavirus web page with information relating to coronavirus
- Start the process for developing an all of sport plan to relaunch Badminton once we get through the next period of time
The Badminton Australia team is here to assist you via email and phone and we will continue to work with the State/Territory badminton organisations over this time.
Please stay safe and look after yourself, family, friends and community.
Jamie Parsons, CEO, Badminton Australia
15/8 Techno Park Drive, Williamstown
(03) 9397 4722