Thomas & Uber Cup Finals 2020
In addition to the Badminton Australia Selection Policy (September 2017) and the Criteria in the Policy under clause (3c) the following specific matters will also apply for the athletes seeking consideration for selection to compete in the:
- Thomas & Uber Cup Finals 16 – 24 May 2020 in Aarhus, Denmark.
The athletes who will be considered for selection are those who complete the online nomination form on the BA website and return to BA by Friday 21 February 2020. https://form.jotform.co/92787477256879
BWF from 1 January 2018 changed the regulation for representation in the Oceania Team Championship to also include players that do not hold an Australian passport. For those players, it is a requirement to have held an Australian registered BWF number for minimum 3 years.
- Have submitted an online nomination form
- Must be in good standing of a BA affiliated club / association
- Meets the BWF requirement of international representation. Please note that the BWF from 1
January 2018 changed the regulation to include players that do not hold an Australian passport. For those players, it is a requirement to have held an Australian registered BWF number for minimum 3 years.
- 6. International Representation 6.1 – 6.2 – 6.3 – 6.4 – 6.5 – 6.6 https://extranet.bwfbadminton.com/docs/document- system/81/1466/1471/Section%205.1%20_%20General%20Competitions%20Regulations.pdf
- To pick teams with the best chances to perform within the Thomas and Uber format.
- To pick teams that include development player(s) with a 2022 Commonwealth Games and
2024 Olympic Games target.
Specific Selection Criteria
In conjunction with the non-performance criteria, the specific selection criteria will be:
- International tournament performances – both wins and losses. (Within the last 6 months)
- National tournament performances – both wins and losses. (Within the last 6 months)
- Players must have demonstrated a consistent approach to training and competing at National
and International level within the last 6 months.
- Players must have nominated to compete in the Oceania qualifying Thomas/Uber tournament
in Ballarat in 10th to 11th February 2020.
- Participation in 2020 Australian National Championships and Ede Clendinnen Shield is
- Players must make themselves available for their State/Territory for Clendinnen Shield. o Partnership considerations for doubles disciplines.
Development players can be selected after the following points:
- Potential and commitment for future success.
- International performances within the last six months.
- Performances at the National Individual Championship held in Launceston, Tasmania from 23
– 29 February 2020.
21 February 2020 – Deadline for nomination
13 March 2020 – Team announcement
17 May 2020 – Depart to Aarhus, Denmark
24 May 2020 – Return to Australia
A player contribution may be required. Costs to be advised.
Please note that official notification of selection is through written correspondence only. Final team selection will be posted on the Badminton Australia website.
*Photo Credit Badminton Oceania*