Badminton Australia is pleased to announce that the 2020 Australian Badminton Championships for U15, U17 and U19 will take place in December 2020 in an amended format.
2020 has been a challenging time for the Australian badminton community. A wide range of factors were considered when coming to a decision including what is in the best interests of athletes and officials, the risks for each of the options available, and what is in the best interests for Badminton in Australia.
Badminton Australia together with the State and Territory Badminton Organisations considered a range of options. The Badminton Australia Board has approved the following:
- That the 2020 Australian Championships for U15, U17, U19 competitions be rescheduled and be held together in December 2020 (prior to December 25)
- Only individual events will take place – MS/WS/MD/WD/XD (no team events will be held)
- The U15 and U19 Individuals be held first followed by the U17 Individuals. The rationale being that the U17’s can compete in the U19’s, and U15’s in the U17’s. It also gives travelling players the opportunity to participate in more matches.
- The exact dates, format and location are to be determined by BA Management
- That, where suitable and appropriate, the event be used as a selection event for the 2020 Junior World Championships and/or selection to the 2021 National Junior Squads
Over the coming weeks Badminton Australia will work through further details including Championship dates, format and locations.
Badminton Australia would like to thank the Badminton community for their patience whilst Badminton Australia and the State and Territory Badminton organisations have worked together to consider the Championships arrangements for 2020.
Chief Executive Officer
15/8 Techno Park Drive, Williamstown
(03) 9397 4722