Badminton Australia endorses the notion of sport for all. Those participating in the broader badminton community come from diverse backgrounds and this is one of the strengths of our sport. This also includes the participation of people from diverse athletic abilities, including people with a specific needs or disability.
The network is responsible for the development of badminton for people with special needs. It encourages participation in badminton and active involvement of people with a disability in all badminton club/association activities. It is also responsible for raising awareness within the broader badminton community about the needs of people with a disability and for communicating to clubs/associations ways to include people with a disability.
The objectives are:
- Develop a network of people with a disability in badminton.
- Encourage the active participation of people with a disability in our sport incorporating modified rules and classifications to ensure fairness and safety.
- Seek funding for pilot badminton programs for people with a disability so that good practice models can be developed and shared across our sport.
- Liaise with State/Territory Associations and clubs to raise awareness of the needs of people with a disability and ways to include people with a disability.
- Liaise with I.B.A.D. (International Badminton Association for Disabled) and to encourage participation of badminton players in international competitions.
- Review BA’s policies and procedures and ensure they are relevant to the needs and aspirations of people with a disability in our sport.
Scope of Committee
The BADN tasks include:
- Develop an annual plan of activities for the Committee, including outcomes and detailing the proposed budget required to meet these outcomes;
- Review BA policies to ensure they are inclusive of people with a disability.
- Be the contact point for I.B.A.D. for BA and to communicate information about their activities through BA networks.
- Communicate with States/Territory Associations and Clubs and develop a network for people with a disability in badminton.
- Seek funding to support local programs for
- Meet regularly to plan and review progress towards planned outcomes;
- Liaise with other BA Committees to achieve shared outcomes;
For more information on the BADN, please contact: